The temperature has definitely taken a plunge from only a month ago. For walkers and runners, it’s time to spend more time on exercise equipment in the comfort of their own home. There are a few things that you want to consider when buying your first piece of equipment or when looking for an upgrade to what you already have.
What do I need?
There are so many different equipment types available today that it’s a good idea to understand what you want to get out of the machine. For walkers and runners, a treadmill is the natural choice. A good treadmill can give you years of service with little to no maintenance. Most new machines have programs to target your activity goals.
If you are looking for non-impact, an Elliptical is a great choice. You want to look for an Elliptical that mimics Good Form Running instead of a cross country ski or shuffle motion. Another non-impact option would be a recumbent bike. Recumbent bikes are great for someone who is rehabbing a leg injury as it lets you sit comfortably while achieving aerobic exercise and working the muscle groups in your legs.
Some versions of a machine will have more or less options; so identify what fits your needs the best. Here are some great features to consider.
- Heart rate- this feature can be used to target the aerobic level of your activity.
- Programs- pre-set programs can help you attain your fitness goals with options such as hill workouts, intervals, heart rate based, and fat burn.
- Display- Large LCD displays can make viewing workout data much easier while in motion.
- Motor- good quality treadmills will have a minimum of 3HP commercial motors. This helps keep the belt running smooth regardless of speed or incline you are running or walking at.
- Quick speed and incline keys- for treadmills, these keys allow you to pick a specific speed or incline instantly.
- Brakes- hand brakes allow for quick stopping on ellipticals and recumbent bikes.
- Cooling- integrated fans can be a great option during workouts.
- Media- a good sound system is key when working out. A media input will allow you to play music from a phone, tablet or music device through exterior speakers.
Not all equipment is created equally. Professional-grade machines are built specifically to take years of use with little or no maintenance. The frame is very important as it’s the foundation the machine is built on and will determine the stability of it. A commercial grade structural steel frame with powder-coat paint will be sturdy and durable. Be sure to look at the weight rating of the machine. The higher the rating the more stable the machine will be under heavy use and the bigger the person it can accommodate. Since this is a long term investment, a good warranty will help protect that investment. Look for a lifetime warranty on the frame and motor, 5-10 years on parts and 1 year on labor.
Having a good piece of exercise equipment in your home can be a convenient way to stay active during the winter months or to keep that training program on schedule. Complete Runner has a wide variety of professional-grade treadmills, ellipticals and recumbent bikes in the store for you to try out. You won’t find our equipment at your local department store, since our exercise equipment is specifically built for serious runners and athletes. Come in and let us show you how to keep you going the distance this winter.