So you signed up to run or walk your first Crim race! Awesome! You will soon join the thousands who claim “bragging rights” for participating in one of the coolest races in Michigan.
We put together a list of 7 Tips for Running the Crim that any first time or novice runner participating in the Crim should find helpful.
- Make sure you have done adequate training by having done the distance you are planning to run at least once.
- Test your gear at least once before the race (shoes, socks, shorts, top, etc). Shorts and tops can cause chaffing and you don’t want to find that out midway through the race.
- Start your hydration the day before, 8 -12 glasses of spring water or sport/electrolyte drinks, staying away from acid drinks like orange juice. The most important water stops are the 1st to 3rd since that’s when your body benefits from it the most. The later in the race you are the less your body derives the benefit during the race. You can use that water to cool yourself by dumping it over your head or down your pants (body hot spots).
- If planning on carbo-loading be aware of additional salt intake. Consider slow burning carbs like sweet potatoes, avocados, or grits.
- Whatever nutrition or enhancement you have been using, stick with it. This is not the time to experiment with new products.
- Try to hold yourself back a bit at the start of the race. You will be tempted to go out too fast, getting caught up in the adrenaline of the race. You will flame out and not have enough to finish.
- Have FUN, there’s a one in 10,000 chance you’ll win.